Once we get one type of illness entering our body it makes us pre-dispose to many other things. This is the reason you need to treat yourself in a holistic manner and not depending on one type of thing.
With our sedentary lifestyle and fatty diet, the knees which become the weight-bearing joint of our body get extra-loaded and this happens to make our body very weak and vulnerable. In order to protect our body to get more damaged, we have to protect it with a healthy lifestyle.
The reason our body works in harmony is because of the fact that the fluid is present in the body, this acts as grease in the body which tends to make sure that all the organs have a smooth flow in function. The knee gets disturbed due to the fact that the cartilage is not getting a sufficient amount of fluid in the knee region which makes it swelled up. So, our main focus is to make sure that our body gets fluid. Swelling is the type of inflammatory reaction that needs to be treated.
A good amount of water is needed in the body, 5-6 liters of water is at least needed in the body, the blood is there 5-6 liters so at least that much of water is needed in the body. Start storing the water in copper bottles so as to make sure we get a good amount of copper. Copper is the required mineral which helps in treating fluid.
Calcium is another mineral which is needed at this stage to make sure our bones are working in harmony, calcium helps in treating all the disease related to growth and wear tear and swelling of our tissues, so good source of calcium are green leafy vegetables because not only they are easily absorbed in the body but also we can rely on the plant vegetables for not producing toxicity in the body. Seeds are another good source of calcium, for example, flax seeds.
When we eat the right kind of food at the right time we make sure that it is easily absorbed.
Let us start our day with a good amount of water, 2-3 glasses of warm water help in flushing out the toxins. These toxins which come and make our immunity vulnerable to diseases need to be flushed.
Your breakfast should comprise something light, a fruit bowl and after some time a vegetable juice is easy to digest. This will help in the absorption of nutrients easily.
The consumption of seeds after lunch like a mouth freshener is a very good way of dealing with it.
After that, in the evening time, roasted dried fruits, makhanas, corn, sprouts, are a good choice of snacks.
Having methi seeds one teaspoon with a glass of warm water will also help, empty stomach. This will aid in curing both inflammation and diabetes.
Let us start with dealing with the exercise part in a broader spectrum, exercising will not only help you in bringing back the comfort but also get a good amount of exercise.
1. After sitting on a chair, raise your legs at a right angle one by one and do it continuously, for 25 times. Do it with one long breath at a time.
2. A brisk walk is something that you can do daily without getting knee pain.
3. By sleeping on your back, you do leg raise alternately, this will put more pressure on the muscles.
With the help of these guidelines, you will surely be able to work on your knee gap and your exercises will be fruitful without discomfort or pain.
Practice mindful meditation.
Deal with your stress.
Allow positivity to be part of your life.
Doing a 15-minute exercise before sleep like deep breathing will help in relaxing your mind, you can use music also for relaxation. A calm mind will lead to a healthier body.
Getting 7-8 hours of sleep is very essential for the body, during sleep our body repairs itself and rejuvenates us for the whole day. All the inflammatory process will be treated well once you feel healthy.
The global prevalence of Diabetes Mellitus among adults over 18 years of age has risen from 4.7% in 1980 to 8.5% in 2014 as per WHO reports. This health condition is very much leaned towards the South East Asia Region due to wrong or faulty lifestyles. Diabetes prevalence has been rising more rapidly in middle- and low-income countries.
Swelling in the legs might be due to the side effects of the medications that are been administered for diabetic management in conventional medicine.
Diet Plan for Diabetes:
1. Try to replace white rice with brown/red rice -Rice is a staple grain in most parts of India White rice has a high GI, which is very detrimental to diabetes. On the other hand, red or brown rice may not be as tasty as white rice but they are healthy and rich in fibre and various nutrients and also less in GI compared to white rice. The red/ brown rice keeps your stomach filled due to high fibre content and also avoid snacking in between the meals
2. Try to whole grains- Whole Grains likee grains like oats, wheat is a great choice when you prescribe a diabetic diet. Quinoa, which is gluten-free, is a great addition for your diet as it is very high in protein, fibre and low in sugar levels!
3. Eat more high fibre veggies- Consuming Fibre is very much essential for your diet because as it helps to maintain a healthy digestive system. Fibre present in vegetables prevents blood sugar shooting up, which makes it an ideal thing for people living with diabetes. Consume more green leafy vegetables, beans and peas to get your daily dose of fibres which could prevent getting hungry soon.
4. Consume pulses and legumes -Consuming pulses that are rich in protein, fibre and these have a low glycemic index which makes them safe to include in a diet for a diabetic patient.
5. Consume fenugreek seeds/ powder -
Fenugreek seeds/fenugreek powder can lower your blood glucose levels as the elements present in it helps to release insulin from the pancreas. It is best practice have a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds with warm water or mixed with buttermilk
Bonus tips to control diabetes
1. Consuming an apple before going to bed could hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) at night.
2. Drinking one tablespoon of gooseberry or amla juice every morning could reduce the oxidative stress inside the body.
3. Exercising every could be a great practice to reduce the blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity, enhance weight loss, and also improve the functions of the various systems
Always go for a whole plant-based diet which includes ample fruits, vegetables, seeds, and nuts. High fibrous fruits and vegetables such as peas, beans, broccoli, spinach, and dark leafy vegetables should be included in one's diet.
Also, pulses with husk and sprouts are a healthy option and should be part of the diet. Brans, cereals, oats meals, millets, seeds should be an essential part of your diet.
• Omega 3 fatty acids should be consumed as they have a beneficial effect on blood sugar and many other cardiovascular diseases. Natural sources for these are flaxseed, chia seeds, and walnuts, etc. These are also low in cholesterol and are trans fat-free.
• One teaspoon of fenugreek seeds (methi) soaked overnight in 100 ml of water is very effective in controlling diabetes. Fenugreek seeds are high in soluble fibre, which helps lower blood sugar by slowing down digestion and absorption of carbohydrates.
• You may also consume some almonds (soaked overnight) which is also helpful in keeping a check on diabetes.
• Never skip your breakfast. Add whole grains, cereals, along with some herbal tea or juice for your breakfast.
• Bittergourd juice; Make fresh bitter gourd juice and drink it two times a day.
• Exercise is very important in order to maintain the blood glucose level. Utilize an hour or two on physical activity or exercises daily such as walking, jogging, brisk walk, etc.
• Some yogasanas and pranayama recommended for diabetes are dhanurasana, mandukhasana, ardhamatsyndrasana, naukasana, navasana, kapalabhati, ujjayi and bhramari pranayama. Practice them under the guidance of a qualified practitioner.
Treatment For Swelling:
You may apply a compress over the swelling area which could relieve the swelling on a gradual basis.
Pouring warm water over the swelling area could also be beneficial
Peripheral neuropathy or pains/discomfort/ swelling in the lower extremities often is found in people who are on a bad lifestyle but may not have diabetes too. Diabetes will make the condition more prominent. Due to the consumption of dairy and animal products, their calcium levels get depleted and is leached from the bones. A detailed explanation can be found under the search on osteoporosis. The reason is the same.
In diabetes particularly, one more reason we can see is that the peripheral organs start becoming weaker. Due to excess glucose in the blood even if the medical tests show less, it’s there. That thickens the blood like a sweet syrup. The heart tries hard to pump viscous blood and in people with type 2 longer than a decade, their legs usually start becoming weaker due to lack of proper blood flow.
The solution is to ensure it’s managed with a good lifestyle.
Switch to whole food plant-based diet. The meaning of whole food is any plant-based food that's not polished or refined or processed to alter its form/taste/shape. Unpolished grains are whole vs polished, sugar and jaggery are processed from the juice of sugarcane. Seeds and nuts are whole but oil is not. Fruits and vegetables are whole. Hence, oil-free cooked with unpolished grains come under this category. In the raw section, all fruits, vegetables, and greens can be edible.
Removing any form of fat is very important for diabetes patients more than sugar. The root cause is fat and that’s why glucose can’t get into the cells. Remove oils in the food, have raw foods like fruits, vegetables, greens for the whole day for one month and diabetes usually normalizes unless you are on this condition for more than a decade. Continue on raw as much as you can. That will reverse both leg issues and diabetes. Drink 3-4liters of vegetable juices per day and water. Eat fruits in plenty. Include walk and other exercises as much as possible. Moving the body along with lifestyle changes will help in the reversal. Diabetes type 2 is one issue where you can see results very quickly depending on the discipline you maintain with respect to being on plant-based, whole food, as much raw/full day raw/vegetable juices, tender coconut, etc. to keep you hydrated.,
Please search the keyword diabetes / under journeys section, select diabetes and how to manage it is brilliantly listed in more detail than what we can explain in a few words here.
Diabetes is the mother of all diseases, and India is a world capital of this dreaded disease, not for nothing. Our eating habits combined with our socialistic obligations of treating our guests with tea, coffee and snacks at any time contribute largely towards its vast clientele. Diabetes is confessedly not cured by allopathy. To manage the situation, they supply insulin from an external source-- an animal product -- in a state where the pancreas fails to secrete it. In this case, they are at a loss not to pin it down on some bacilli, bacteria, germ etc. Nor do they care to study the cause and remove it. In general, the causes of this can be any or a group of the following;-
1. The pancreas has been so much overworked, that it has struck work.
2. The basic material out of which the pancreas can produce insulin is not available in the body tissues and fluids
3. That centre in the brain that controls the activities of the pancreas is damaged either owing to degeneration or trauma [injury]
Whatever be the case, our universal medicine may be either Bilva Patra [ leaves ] or grass.juice to the extent of 70 ml daily should be taken. With a regular daily intake of any of these or alternatively, the trouble has been totally relieved.
Every grain [ whole ] contains insulin in its germ [ germ ], but it is lost to the modern eater. In Polished rice, atta this valuable part is lost, secondly, it is lost in cooking, even if it be the whole grain because it is destroyed at a temp. of 50 deg C and 55 deg c and cooking, the simplest boiling, it is at a temp. of 100 deg c. Other methods of cooking subject the food to a higher temp. and obviously that natural source of insulin is unavailable to the eater. To rule out any shortfall, coarse grains millet, ragi, jowar, oats may be taken in very small amounts along with 80 % vegetables raw and cooked, without oil spices and condiments as per law of Vital Economy.
Combined with other Nature Cure tenets like brisk walking, sunbathing, spinal baths, non-violent pranayama, the disease of diabetes is radically curable in quick little time, but faith, fearlessness and Grace of God is an integral part.
It will not be out of context to mention to avoid totally all enervating devitalising foodless foods like tea,coffee fried processed animal products, alcoholic beverages,
Along with the radical cure of your health issues of diabetes other physical discomforts of swelling and pain in other parts will also be taken care of.
Be well that you may be good, be good that you may be well.
Be healthy and happy.
V.S.Pawar Member Indian institute of natural therapeutics 1980