Sprouted and popped ragi flour is not only nutritious but ready to eat without any extra cooking involved. This dish is neither a complete upma nor a complete dry mixture. It falls midway and has just enough moisture to enjoy as a snack. Mothers always have a challenge to make healthy options for their kids and this is not only oil-free but also gluten-free. It's a better alternative to just a plain ragi flour.
- 1c sprouted and popped ragi flour
- 1/4-1/2 c water
- 1/2 c chopped onions
- 1-inch ginger grated
- 4 red chilli
- Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp peanuts
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp channa dal
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp mustard
- Enough salt to taste
- 1/2c grated fresh coconut
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- To make the flour at home (optional) -To make the flour at home (optional) - Soak the ragi for 24 hrs. Then drain and rinse it. Allow the ragi to sprout for 24-30hrs. The sprouting is delayed in cold climates. Allow the sprouted ragi to dry in shade for 24-36 hrs. Once it's dry enough, Take just a handful of that at a time and dry roast till you hear them popping. Allow the popped ragi to cool down and get it milled or grind it to a fine powder. This step is optional if you purchase the flour. You can also use the regular ragi flour. However, the nutrition value in the sprouted is significantly higher. Secondly, since this dish does not use elaborate cooking of ragi, one might feel it's slightly raw.
- In a container, take the ragi flour, sufficient salt and continue to sprinkle water and mix till it resembles a crumble just enough to hold shape, but not wet. Keep it aside.
- To make an oil-free tadka, in a clay or an iron heavy bottomed vessel add peanuts first and after it's half roasted, add channa dal and urad dal and continue to keep roasting. When it’s half done, add cumin and mustard seeds.
- Once it's done, add chopped onions, red chilli and continue to roast till its translucent.
- Add the prepared ragi, ginger, curry leaves and saute it for 5 mins till it mixes evenly.
- Add grated coconut, lime juice and mix thoroughly. Switch off the stove at this time.
- Serve hot.