Crispy dosas are welcome anytime of the day. Millets are a great way to replace polished rice while making dosas. Try this wholesome recipe for a lovely meal.
- Whole sorghum (Jowar): ½ cup
- Whole urad dal: ½ cup
- Brown rice: ½ cup
- Fenugreek seeds: ½ tsp
- Rock salt: to taste
- Wash and soak sorghum and rice together overnight.
- Wash and soak urad dal and fenugreek seeds overnight.
- Drain the water and grind urad dal with fenugreek seeds adding little water at a time to get a smooth and fluffy paste.
- Transfer to a big vessel.
- Drain the water and grind sorghum and rice to a smooth paste adding water.
- Mix the sorghum rice paste to the ground urad dal and add salt and mix well.
- Leave undisturbed in a warm place to ferment, depending on the weather it could take 4-6 hrs (or more) to ferment.
- Stir well and adjust the consistency to make a dosa batter.
- Heat a griddle and prepare just like you prepare regular dosa on a medium flame.
Food group: Lentils & Millets
Millets (like sorghum) are gluten-free, rich in fibre and high in nutritional value. They are a good option to add variety to your meals.
Legumes are natural foods, which provide the much-needed material for growth and repair.